I have been bullet journaling since the beginning of 2017. I pulled out my first journal today and flipped through it. Many things have changed since that first journal; some haven’t:
- I use a navy blue A5 Leuchtturm dot grid notebook. All of them have been Leuchtturm - all of them have been navy - but the first one was not a dot grid notebook. It was lined. I didn’t think I would like the dots, but after the first one, I switched. And I like it much better. I also love the look of all of those navy hard back books lined up on my shelf - I’m in #20.
- I set the first one up, thinking it would last a year. It did not. It lasted six months. There are lots of blank spreads at the beginning because of that, but now I plan for each book to hold six months. After June and after December, I switch to a new book even though that leaves extra space in the back of the books. I love knowing which book to grab for which month - I love the organization of six months per book - I love not worrying if I am going to run out of space (which I did when I thought the book would last a year).
- I have refined the spreads I need in order for the journal to work for me. For example, my future log is now a six month plus “future” spread over four pages. It has two months per page and then a grid for the next six month on one page. It’s the first thing in the book, which makes more sense to me. In my first journal, it was spread throughout the book.
- I leave more space for the visual, creative part of the journal. The theme and the decoration are part of the fun for me. I am not nearly as decorative as some I see on the internet, but that is part of it for me.
- A few years ago, Steve purchased a Sprocket printer. It prints small (2x3) images. Because of that, I've added images to my bullet journal. I drop the pictures I want in a shared folder on my iPhone; when he has a chance, he prints them for me. It adds a very fun touch to the "blue books."
- I love the historical record of life it creates for us. Need to know what happened? Look in the books. I record the gifts we have given, the hotels we have stayed in, etc. Each trip we take has a Travel Journal in my bullet journal. Those are incredibly fun to look back on. It was something I had tried for years to do - either in an analog way or a digital way - and was only partially successful. Since 2017, every trip has a travel log.

0 comments:
Post a Comment