Sock Christmas Ornaments

 When we were in Las Vegas last fall, we made a stop at Sin City Knit Shop.  It's a great shop - I recommend it.   I bought this yarn:


It's from Socker Mom Fibers (I had already wound two of the tiny skeins).  Each one was about 5 grams of yarn or 27 yards, I think (or close to that).  The pattern is also from Socker Mom, and it is for tiny Christmas tree ornaments shaped like socks.  They had a little tree decorated with them.  They also had a kit for a garland made of tiny socks.  Adorable. 


I loved the yarn.  It was slightly overdyed, so there was a variation in color.  In the image, you can see it best in the green.  I knit the socks with size 0 needles.  Tiny.  The hanger is created with a crochet chain stitch - hook size D.  

I ran out of the house on the way to leave for the weekend with the yarn, pattern, and needles, but no other notions.  I had to go to a craft store and pick up darning needles and a crochet hook to finish the socks as they flew off the knitting needles.  Not at all prepared. 

As you can tell, I knit them on the road - we took a weekend trip right before New Year's Eve.  They knit up SO FAST.  Well, compared to a normal sized sock, anyway.

The pattern was clear. It used what it called a shadow heel (which I've never heard of). The shadow heel used stitches called TWK (twin knit stitch) and TWP (twin pearl stitches).  I did have an issue with these stitches - maybe it was the yarn or the needles, but there was some splitting of the yarn.  Also, it was sometimes difficult to figure out (for me) how to create the stitch in the leg of the stitch directly below.  Lots of transferring of stitches from one needle to the other.  It did result in socks, though.



The kit was designed to knit three socks, I think, but after I finished one of each color, it seemed like there was enough yarn to go again, so I did.  Six stock ornaments altogether. 


And the leftover blue yarn?


I had more yarn leftover of the other colors, but not much of the red and green. Still - good use of yarn! And fun knitting. 



0 comments: